In todays post, I would like you to meet Lillian. She is 7.25" tall and elegant in her beautiful pink and white layered style dress with gold edging on her hat and bolero jacket. Many of the Florence ladies were named and the name is placed on the bottom of the figurine. That is one of the reasons my Mother loved to collect the Florence ladies.
Mom would share and personalize each piece by name. Each time I look at the ladies it brings fond memories of the smiles on my mother.
Lillian is one of the Godey figurines and I believe one of the most popular. Lillian's dress was fashioned from the "Godey's Lady's Magazine" that was published in the early 1800's. The ornate fashions featured in the magazine were worn by the leisurely ladies of that time, and definitely not worn by women who were responsible for the care of their families, home or farms. Florence Ward produced a large group of these ladies in several different scales.
The detail in the craftsmenship of the porcelain figures and hand painting is simply incredible. Each piece is a work of love, and it shows. I can understand why mom loved her collection so much. She really enjoyed sharing them with everyone that showed interest in them.
Well, enough for now. We will share another fine Florence Figurine with you next time.
RP for Mildred
No comments:
Post a Comment